Friday, January 14, 2011

Close Encounters With the 2nd Kind.........by Aaron



Whenever a group is coming to Mexico, they always want to know about the critters here. We usually tell them that there aren't many critters around Refuge Ranch unless you really go looking for them (besides the three German Shepherds that the Zaragoza's own).

Now take a trip back to Indiana. When we were at my grandma and grandpa Sell's house, I had an encounter with the "2nd kind." Everybody was up late because we had just finished watching tv. I decided to check my facebook real quick, so I went to bed around 10:45 in Grandma and Grandpa's spare room, which had been added on to the house. I was in bed, and I started hearing a skittering sound to my left on the floor. At first I just ignored it, but whatever it was kept making noise, so I couldn't get to sleep. I found if I yelled something, (in a whisper voice because everyone else was sleeping.) the "whatever it was" would shut up. That went on around 4 to 5 times, and it was getting annoying because I would just be starting to nod off when the "whatever it was" would start making noise again.

Now this is where it started to get interesting. I was lying on the bed ever so peacefully when the "whatever it was" jumped on top of me, so I just flung it off into the dark room. Then I tried to go back to sleep. Then it happened again, and I once more sent it on a magical journey towards the other side of the room. At this point, I thought, "Ok, this thing cannot possibly be stupid enough to try that again!" so I tried to go back to sleep. But of course the "whatever it was" had no sense whatsoever and jumped on me again. This time I wrapped it up with my blanket, threw it on the floor, grabbed my glasses, and turned on the light. By the time I had done all that, the "whatever it was" had escaped the blankets and was somewhere on top of the piano. I thought I would catch it, toss it outside, and be done with it so I could go to sleep. I went and got a cup and prepared to capture it. I got ready, lifted a bunch of stuff off the piano and saw a surprise. The "whatever it was" was a squirrel! I grabbed the cup I had taken from the kitchen and put it on top of him, but I wasn't fast enough. He got his head out, and then he escaped from my little prison. Then I upgraded to a much bigger container and prepared to get him. But after a couple attempts, I heard Grandpa getting up to go to the bathroom so I went and got him. We just shut the door and left the squirrel in that room. I slept on the couch and finally fell asleep around 12:00. The next morning Grandpa got the squirrel with the broom, so that squirrel won't mess with anyone anymore!

I thought this was such a funny story that Aaron needed to share it. People always seem to worry about the critters here in Mexico, but we had to go home to Indiana to find a critter story worth sharing! It reminds me of the scripture (Yes, even squirrel stories can bring scripture to mind for me!), "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."-Proverbs 16:9. Aaron probably had plans of a good night's sleep that night, climbing into bed and dreaming sweet dreams...instead God gave him a squirrel to deal with! What kinks has God thrown into your plans lately? What obstacles has He put into your path? Or should I say opportunities? It all depends on how you look at it. God wants us to look at it the way He would, and do what He would do in each situation. I'm sure that night Aaron's plans didn't turn out exactly as planned, but he sure had a great story to share with the rest of us the next morning, and boy, did we laugh...and I'm betting God was laughing too!


I didn't take this picture because I was sleeping peacefully in my bed,
but imagine this critter in bed with you!

No comments: