Friday, January 1, 2010

"New Year Resolutions" by Ashleigh

I'm not very big into celebrating New Years. I never really have been. I think it is because somewhere deep inside always resented the push for "New Years resolutions" and "starting new in a new year". Change should be able to happen any day of the year and it always seemed silly to me to wait until a certain date on the calendar. The things that should change are faced in the day-to-day parts of life.

New Years has always been much more important for me in a solemn and reflective kind of way. I usually spend some time thinking over the last year and what life was like one year ago as I was looking forward into a new year. Remembering the spiritual triumphs that I had by the grace of God, the trials by fire that I was not expecting, and the areas that I did not have the strength to stand firm.

As I was looking forward into 2009 I prayed that God would allow a season of spiritual rest and refreshment as there had been, what a appeared to me, a long period of spiritual attacks and stretching lessons. I longed for a reprieve, for a spiritual plateau and time of rest. The prayer and the hope for that faded on January 2nd when I got a call informing me that my grandmother had had a heart attack, was taken to the hospital and then went into cardiac arrest. (She had double bypass surgery and by God's grace is doing fine now.) This last year has been much of the same for me with lesson and testing upon temptation and trial it seems. Lots of refining fires and tests to reveal my true self. It wasn't the year that I prayed for and it wasn't a spiritual plateau like I had desired but through it all God has been more then sufficient.

So, as I am peering into the beginning of 2010 I wonder what kind of year it will be. I decided not to ask for the same request this year as I did last year. This year my heart is asking of the Lord for the ability to be steadfast and faithful. In every day and every moment that my eyes would be turned heavenward and that whatever my physical position my soul will rest in the Lord. There are a lot of unknowns for me this year. My two year commitment with Fishers of Men will be up in March. Although I feel like God is calling me to stay until at least May what lies beyond that is still a mystery that is veiled from sight. But, no matter, God knows and I can rest in that.

I challenge you to also look back and remember. Remember God's faithfulness to you during this last year. Remember His mercy and grace that has been poured out on you. However, also be willing to remember where you did not stand strong or perhaps were not faithful. Remember God's mercy to you in those times. Rejoice that you have lived to see another year completed and that you have more opportunities stretched before you to continue climbing higher. I encourage you to spend some time really meditating on the words to the song "Higher Ground".

I'm pressing on the upward way
New heights I'm gaining every day,
Still praying as I'm onward bound,
"Lord plant my feet on higher ground".

My heart has no desire to stay,
Where doubts arise and fears dismay.
Tho' some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

I want to live above the world,
Tho' Satan's darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sounds,
The song of saints on higher ground.

I want to scale the utmost height,
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I'll pray till heaven I've found,
"Lord, lead me on to higher ground".

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith on heaven's table-land.
A higher plain than I have found,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

1 comment:

M said...

Yes, Ash, I am with you. Why would the clay say to the Potter, "This is what I want to happen this year. . ." Who am I? Rather, Dear Lord, build my faith. Fill me with You. May I not shrink but stand firm.