Thursday, December 17, 2009

"Nativities and Additions" by Ashleigh

I had the perfect idea for this post and was all prepared to type it out. I was going to tell you about art class this afternoon and the fun that we had. I still plan on telling you all about it but something else is pressing in on my thoughts even more. Martita's little sister who arrived last night.

You see, many of you will remember a little girl (Poula) that we were going to bring home from church one Sunday and it all fell through last minute? I was so anxious and nervous the two weeks before while the plans were being made. How do you love someone who is a complete stranger? How do you communicate that you love them (through a language barrier no less) without scarring them to death. To the world, loving someone you don't know is impossible and they cannot see the God factor in the equation. It doesn't enter their minds that God pours forth so much love that if we are willing to receive it, then it spills out onto other people. Especially in this situation. On top of that everything is new and overwhelming to them. You are strange and American. You don't speak Spanish well and what you do speak you have an accent that they are not use to hearing and in the end they understand very little. You don't want to come across as distant or uninterested in them as a person either. So many doubts, fears, question, so many unknowns. I was sick to my stomach with nervousness the day that Poula was suppose to come home with the family.

Getting Martita's sister happened rather quickly (as most things happen around here). I spent the day at the house and yesterday evening until Julie and Victor got back. I have made it a personal guideline to disappear when a new child arrives. The other little kids are usually really excited and kind of pounce when they get home, the new child is scared and overwhelmed, and they need some time connecting as a family without the addition of staff. They can meet me in the morning is my thinking. That's soon enough.

So, when Victor and Julie walked in I gave Julie a very short run down and said goodnight right as Martita and her sister were walking through the door. I wanted to so badly to walk over and just give her a big hug. I can't really express to you the emotions that I was/am feeling but they bring tears to my eyes. My heart wants so badly to share with her that everything is going to be ok now and somehow say it in such a way that she will believe me. But I know that only time and Christ can truly teach that truth.

As I got to my room and got ready for a hot shower a thought stopped me in my tracks, literally. "Where is the fear, the questions, and the doubts that I had about new kids coming? Where is the wondering if I will be able to love them? Where is the anxiousness in my spirit?" Gone...actually, it never existed with the prospect of getting Martita's sister. I know I was here when Daniel came but a toddler and a 12 year old are totally different. By the grace of God and the lessons He has taught me about living in the moment and loving fully, without restraint or fear, are paying off apparently. It is the only thing that my lack of nervousness can be attributed too. I have nothing to lose and a heart full of love to give. What a wonderful place to be in! What an assurance that God is molding me! I can't wait to share stories with all of you about getting to know Martita's sister and learning how best to show her God's love.

As for art class...that seems rather anti-climatic having shared the other stuff. However, it's rather cool also! Back in June Emy brought down a ceramic nativity set that was not painted. Being the art teacher, I will admit to hording it until the Christmas season and using it as a fun art project. I didn't know if the kids would get into it or not (seeing that it had to do with Christmas) but I was pleasantly surprised! They all seemed to really enjoy themselves and do their best. Part way through I turned on some of the Christmas music in Spanish that I had bought and it was well received! I even had some of the kids humming along! We had great fun! So, I thought I would include a couple of pictures of the kids working on their projects. I wanted to include a picture of the finished nativity but it isn't quite ready. I have two more pieces that need painting (one being baby Jesus). I was thinking that would be a good project for Martita and her sister to work on in the next couple of days. (Thank you Emy so much for bringing that down and providing me with an art class as well as an opportunity to create some good Christmas memories with each one of the kids!)

Fidel painting a shepherd

Joanna painting a goat

Josiah painting a wise man

3 comments:

The Eisenga's said...

Yay Zaragoza's! Praise God Lolis is now a part of a loving family! I thought of you many times yesterday and prayed for all of you. I wore the cozy shawl you made me Julie, to remind me of you throughout the day! love, Kara

Dani said...

WOOHOOO! I'm so glad for all of you! Ash, thank you for sharing so very beautifully from your heart. You're wonderful.

Unknown said...

That is so great to hear about Martita's little sister. Sometimes the Lord gives a platform to touch many, other times it is just one soul at a time , but all of Heaven rejoices the same either way.
Please give all the kids hugs for me--tell Fidel I am practicing connect four! also, the picture of Josiah painting a WISE man is very fitting. He has talents the Lord can use someday.