Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Limited or No Connectivity" By Mark


A view of the roof from Josiah's fort

We have been having trouble connecting, and staying connected, to the internet. We are relying on a wireless signal from the Zaragoza house. The router is in an upstairs window and we should be in range, but the concrete seems to block the signal. This morning I was thinking about
that message we get, “Limited or No Connectivity.” I was working with the entirely Spanish speaking crew cutting, bending, installing, and tying rebar for the concrete roof. I know enough Spanish to be able to ask for help or ask if I am doing something right. I do not do so well if the answer is very involved and includes long explanations. If the answer is yes, no, good, or involves pointing or hand gestures, I am ok. The most interesting thing I have noticed about our communications is that a lot of men do not talk while they work. Even when using hand motions, there is little or no talking if there is a language barrier. Sometimes I speak English and point or make gestures. This is like “Limited or no connectivity.” There is probably some frustration on the part of the other workers. I am guessing that is why they do not talk to me in Spanish. They just don’t want to waste their time, since I would not understand anyway.

I am glad I don’t get this “Limited or No Connectivity” message when I pray. God is always listening and always understands. There are definitely times when I sense a better and stronger connection, but those are the times that are like taking my laptop down to the Zaragoza’s house. When I remove the walls that separate me from God, I discover that He is always there. He did not build the wall, I did, or I let it happen. While I have been working on this cement roof project, a lot of the work is solo quiet repetitive work, and I find my mind wandering, and thinking about other people. It gives me the opportunity to pray for people. Even though I do not know what they need specifically, I can lift them up and ask for God’s encouragement and blessing on them.

As you pray today, remove the walls that give you “limited or no connectivity.” Remember too those who still have “limited or no connectivity” with the God of all creation. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39 NIV

2 comments:

Fishers of Men said...

Awesome job! What a pastor's heart! I won't be so frustrated now by your "limited or no connectivity" knowing that you all have even been able to learn a lesson by that! We are so grateful for your lives, Marshall family! Honored to serve with you, Julie

Lisa Werkheiser said...

Wow, I so needed that. Thank You!!!!