Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Count Your Blessings by Mark

Johnson Oatman Jr. wrote the hymn, Count Your Blessings, which I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. If you are reading this from the United States, you are probably getting ready for Thanksgiving. We are also getting ready for Thanksgiving at Refuge Ranch. The kids are learning about what the holiday is all about. Aaron presented an American history lesson with details about the first Thanksgiving. The preschoolers have been building a turkey shaped piƱata, which will be opened on T-day. The elementary kids made turkey shaped napkin rings with their thanks written on the tail feathers. The older kids have written about what they are thankful for.

Of all the “stuff” with which I have been blessed I have to say that the people in my life are my greatest blessing, other than the gift of salvation of course. Last week I joined an amazing group of people who do indescribable work. I went on my first EMMC. I have heard about these trips and I have seen pictures, but to experience it first hand is overwhelming. Doctors, dentists, hairstylists, and opticians all working for Christ, dedicated to helping people because Christ first loved us. This group is more than a team of professional caregivers. They are a close-knit family who loves every person who comes for aid. I was also amazed at how included I felt in the family. I could probably write every word I know in Spanish on one piece of paper, and still have room to write all my medical knowledge, but I felt very included. I am looking forward to building these relationships in the future.





Gabrial and Mia Clowning in Tabasco


EMMC in the state of Tabasco; the hands and feet of Christ

While I was gone, two of Ashleigh’s brothers were visiting. I got to spend a couple of days with them when I got back. We had a great time together and I wish I could have been here the whole time they were, but I would not trade the EMMC time. They have returned to the States and will be spending Thanksgiving with their family and friends.

I would like to add a challenge for you with this verse: Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving (Colossians 4:2 NIV). As you gather with your family and friends for the holiday, give up the stress and enjoy each other with an attitude of thanksgiving. As you return to your life’s routine be thankful for all the people in your life. The relationships we have with each other may be the most overlooked blessings we have. Count your blessings.



2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Thanks for the reminder Mark. It was one that I needed. :) I am glad to hear that your first EMMC was a good one!

Unknown said...

Mark, thanks for the wonderful words of wisdom. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!