Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Latest Update on Danny

Update...I actually have my computer at the hospital with broadband internet...it wouldn't work all day, but it is now! I'll do this quick before it decides to loose its signal. (Sent on facebook by Julie Monday evening)

Formula update: our friend in the U.S. found a nearly equivalent formula. So, I showed the ingredients to our doctor this morning and he said it looked good. Then, we decided to try and reach the Mexican lab that makes the formula here, just in case, and we actually talked to somebody! Come to find out, their Mexico City office is within walking distance of the hospital! What?! And the hospital can't get the formula? Welcome to public health care in a third world country! At the same time our doctor came back out and said he would prefer the Mexican formula because it has a little less fat content, which is what is causing Danny problems. We are sooooo grateful for all of you who offered to look for the formula and to Brian Leedy and all he did to find the formula and offer to get it to Mexico! Anyway, the local lab office sent us five small packets today to tide us over and their supplier is bringing a box to the hospital tomorrow. So, praise the Lord that Danny will get the formula his body needs!

General update: Danny is awake, continues to answer our questions by moving his head; he squeezes my fingers to let me know he wants to "tell" me something, but I have to guess the theme and then ask yes/no questions to try and communicate. Hmmmmm.....quite the challenge. There are small things that are a little off, but nothing hugely major...I feel that if they go through with the tracheostomy tomorrow and Danny can breathe on his own is really going to help him....it will strengthen his heart and they can feed him better through the feeding tube. He looks like he has lost quite a bit of weight and he was skinny to start with! He continues, for now, with the ventilator tube in his mouth, the feeding tube in his nose and still more wires and tubes than I can count...about 8 IV pumps still.

As this develops and I hear about other kids, I realize how serious Danny was and the journey that still lies ahead. Today, Dr. Palacios did another Glenn on a two year old and his mom was concerned because he has 8 IV pumps. She was able to see her son for two minutes this evening from the door and he is considered critical but stable. When Danny came out surgery, a bidirectional Glenn with Fontan (two major heart surgeries combined in one), he had 15 IV pumps and we didn't see him for 22 hours after surgery because he was critical and unstable. We praise Jesus for bringing him this far and we trust He will bring him all the way home...our home before his Heavenly home:-) I knew he was in serious condition, but I'm just realizing how serious it really was! (So, it only took me two weeks to see the miracle that God has already done!)

Trach update: Surgery continues to be tentatively scheduled for tomorrow..we don't have an exact time. If my internet decides to work tomorrow I will do my best to keep you informed!

Thanks for all of your loves and prayers! You guys are amazing!

No comments: