Tuesday, August 9, 2011

School...by Lucy

School...it's what I do. My days tend to revolve around school. I haven't blogged for quite a while because it is hard to type when your desk is surrounded by 3-4 kids, each needing your attention for school. "Lucy, can I read to you?" "Lucy, I don't understand my math." "Lucy, I need to do a time test." "Lucy, can I get a drink of water?" "Lucy, can you help me with this experiment?" "Lucy, I need to practice my English words." "Lucy, I'm tired." "Lucy, what is this word? What does it mean?" "Lucy, will you check my book?" "Lucy, I need to take a test." "Lucy, I need a new science book." "Lucy, the computer isn't working." "Lucy, I'm done with school!"

Wow! I'm tired just thinking about the day ahead! I have struggled with writing a blog for a while because doing school is how I interact with the kids, and not all of them want stories about their education in a blog! For some, school is easy. They zip through their work quickly and are on their way to the outdoors to play, or to the computer to chat with friends, or to their room to listen to music, read a book, nap, or just be alone. For others, school is hard. It is a chore. We teach in both English and Spanish. That adds more stress for those who struggle, and makes their work take even longer. Some of the kids are behind where they should be in school. Some never attended school until they became part of the Zaragoza family. Some just have trouble focusing on their work while they are in school! For whatever reason, school can be HARD!

But I've learned in my own life that HARD is good! When we struggle and persevere through the "hard stuff," we come out victors on the other side. The rewards are sweeter when we've struggled to attain them. When we persevere through something we are learning even if it is hard, we tend to retain it better. Those answers become more ingrained in our brains. We don't forget the "HARD stuff." Why? Maybe because we don't want to have to repeat it! Maybe because when something is hard, we have to find other ways to learn it, or we find keys and patterns to help us remember it. Maybe because when you have to go over and over and over something till you "get it," it finally sticks!

Here at the ranch, one thing that happens in school is a lot of translating. They read something in English, then are required to translate it to Spanish so we know it is understood. I have to do a lot of translating from Spanish to English to make sure I'm understanding what they're learning and to make sure I'm grading correctly. It's HARD! But HARD is good! I'm learning! And so are the kids here at Refuge Ranch! It is exciting to watch them persevere through the HARD stuff, not only in school, but in life! God is so good! And life is HARD, but HARD is GOOD! Because God is GOOD!

So my challenge to you...Persevere! Don't give up in whatever you are struggling with today. The rewards when you persevere will be so much greater. And all the glory will go to God because perseverance isn't natural. It comes from Him! Glory to God!

"We also rejoice in our suffering, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us."
Romans 5:3-4

No comments: