Wednesday, October 27, 2010

God at Work...by Lucy

Leslie brushing teeth after a cleaning
Isabel checking eyes
Amelia and Rosa clowning around
Erika showering the kids with confetti
Becky and Mark pray
Someone reading one of the books we pass out to the kids
Lisa taking a blood pressure reading
"Hold me!"
Haircuts in hot weather
Joanna using her creativity on a different kind of canvas!
Aaron and Mark make the kids laugh
Josiah in the train that Mark and Adrian built,
and Rosa and many others finished the night before we left on crusade!
Leonel praying with a woman accepting Christ as Savior
Children are hungry for the good news about Jesus
Gisela checking a patient
Ana cutting hair, lots of it!
Some of our first patients

We just returned from an EMMC to Guerrero on Sunday. We are still processing the things that we experienced on this crusade. Watching God at work is always a joy to watch, and taking pictures to share with others that same joy, is priceless. I couldn't wait to load the photos on the computer to share with all of you. This crusade was different from the first one we went on together as a family in February. Victor sent us to nice homes where we slept in "luxury" the first time (Break us in gently, I think!). This time we slept in a room we shared with cockroaches. After turning the lights off the first night, within 5 minutes, I had cockroaches in my hair. We slept with the lights on the rest of the nights in that room! I kept praying, "Okay, God. What are you trying to teach me through this?" I knew we could tell Victor, and he would probably move us if we wished, but I knew the people we were staying with were giving us the best they could. It was a sacrifice for them to allow us to stay in that room of their home. They owned a little store and gave us a big bottle of water the first night to help us out. The last day they let the kids take a couple of Cokes. They drove us back and forth to the church every day. They sacrificed for us to do what God called us to do there. Now I know that if I had to do that again, I could. I wonder where Victor will put us next time? God was at work!

We have changed since we went on our last crusade. Watching Aaron and Joanna interact with the people we met was amazing. Aaron was walking around "high-fiving" all the kids and goofing around with the staff. Joanna was helping the doctors get patients from one place to another, answering questions, interpreting for those of us who still can't speak the language! She was awesome! Holding the hand of an elderly woman to make sure she didn't fall, or holding a baby while his mama got some medical attention. God was at work!

Aaron, Joanna, and Mark all did clowning for the children's activities. I was going to, but then who would have taken all the pictures of the clowns? I decided to stick with what I do best! Plus I could see the makeup melting off their faces! Joanna interpreted for Emy and then they all did a skit that made the kids laugh. Mission accomplished! God was at work!

We did things we never imagined we would be doing on this crusade. We might think, "How can God use me on a crusade? I'm not a doctor, or dentist, or optometrist, or hair stylist, or evangelist, or I don't speak the language." So what? All God needs is a willing heart! He will use us to bring glory to His name if we let Him. It's so amazing to watch Him work through my family and wonder where He will take us someday to continue bringing the good news of Christ to a hurting world. God is at work!

After all the hard work, and a road so bumpy I thought I might be sick, we also experienced God's blessings so greatly we were overwhelmed. Victor had planned for us to sleep on the beach one night in between crusade locations. A woman at the first church found out about it, and told him we could stay at her place by the ocean. She rents this home to Americans on vacation. Never in our wildest dreams, would we have ever thought God would bless us like He did while we were there. We stayed in nice rooms with a pool nearby and the ocean just a short walk from the house. It was all so beautiful! The sunset was gorgeous, and we had a baptism for Ana, who had come on her first crusade. We were just overwhelmed. At one point, watching the sun set, Mark said, "I don't deserve this," and He was right. We don't. But God loves us anyway! And He is at work!

"Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom. One generation will commend your works to another; They will tell of your mighty acts. They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds. They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness." Psalm 145:3-7

Enjoying God's blessings
Ana's baptism

Flying over the waves


Butterflies and Blessings

GOD AT WORK!

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

This was an incredible post Lucy! You're right when you said that your family has changed. God has deeped each of your hearts as you all continue to seek Him. I can see that in each of you. Such a blessing and encouragement!

The pictures are beautiful and I LOVED them! :) I love the one you got of Rosa smiling. It was wonderful to see Mark and Leonel praying with people! I am sure that the kids loved interacting with Joanna and Aaron. The train looked increadible! Just awesome!

Thank you for sharing your heart and your stories and letting us see the crusade through your eyes. It was wonderful to read your post. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy!
Louaine just about freaked with the story of cockroaches in hair.

Speaking of hair, what Ana is holding would be a treasure to some chemotherapy patients.

Our love to all of you,
Bill K.