Monday, August 23, 2010

Julie & Julia: The Mexican Version

The name of a recent movie reminded me of an experience that I had back on the crusade to Guadalajara in May. I have had this blog in my head and the picture waiting on the computer, but there was always something else to write! However, today is a good day! So, here goes: my own version of Julie and Julia.

We were at the second location on the Guadalajara crusade when I met a little girl whose story epitomizes many Mexican families. I met her mother first when she came to the crusade earlier in the day seeking medical attention. She seemed tired and rather loaded down as she showed up pushing a stroller with a toddler in it over the gravel road and several other kids in tow. I happened to overhear her speaking to a doctor that she suffered from anxiety, which was causing physical symptoms.

After she visited the doctor, I sat down next to her to chat a bit and see if she was willing, or wanting, to open up and share. She did a bit, but very hesitantly, questioning several times what "religion" we represented and if we believed in the same things as her Catholic church and if we used the same Bible. (For those unfamiliar with the Catholic faith here in Mexico, it is a mix of Catholicism and a heavy dose of pagan ritual and even witchcraft. Members are not encouraged and, sometimes, not allowed to read the Bible.) I assured her that we were there to help, that we used the same Bible as the Catholic church and that there was a solution to her anxiety problems. While she shared generally about financial and marital difficulties, she seemed very distracted, so I didn't keep her any longer, but invited her daughter to the kids club later on that afternoon.

I do not remember at what point I found out that her daughter's name was Julia, but I got excited and told her that was my name too! (Although I always use Julie here in Mexico, my name translated is Julia.) Well, that was all the encouragement that little girl needed! She beamed from ear to ear and was at my side whenever possible! There is a word we use in Spanish when two people have the same name: "tocaya". So, little Julia kept telling all of her friends that I was her "tocaya" and boy was she proud of it, too!

Julie & Julia (on the right)

She came that afternoon to kids' club and then missed the next one. I was praying that the little bit of the love of Jesus that she had experienced would go a long way! Then, on Saturday, nobody showed up for kids' club because I had inadvertently scheduled it at the same time as the local catechism class. Just as I had given up hope, all of the kids arrived, fresh out of catechism class...including Julia.

Julia came to our last club when our children dressed up as clowns to sing and do several sketches. Julia's mother was even on the fringes, listening hesitantly, questioningly and quite suspiciously, but listening nonetheless to the story of salvation.

When we go on crusades it is very common to run into adults suspicious of our faith and motives; and children hungry, starving, for genuine love and attention. For many adults, receiving quality, attentive medical care opens the door for them to be willing to listen the Good News of Jesus Christ. For the children, hugs, smiles and words of encouragement attract them to Jesus! However, for this little girl, sharing our first names was the door that opened her heart to hear about Jesus! Now we just pray that the seeds planted will grow!

"Always be prepared to give an answer
to everyone who asks you
to give the
reason for the hope that you have."
I Peter 3:15

No comments: