Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"Crusade pics and Thanks" by Ashleigh

I always forget that the pictures load backward from how you enter them. So, these are actually from the end to the beginning but I didn't think you all would mind and since they take a while to load I didn't want to do it again. :)

Last week I had the honor and privilege to be on another crusade to the state of Guerrero (south of us).We actually worked in two different locations and the second one was Fidel's home town. He came with us on this crusade to be able to go back to his old stomping grounds. I don't actually know how it went for him as he is rather quiet and I didn't want to pry. I also figured since he probably would only open up and say anything one time it would be better if that was to his parents.

Also, my friend from Ohio came down and went on the crusade with me. She is a home health aide in the US and loved the opportunity to give shots and flush out ears and things that she would not legally be able to do in the US. :) The needs are great and we will take what we can get!

In all seriousness if you have not been on a crusade before you should seriously pray about coming for one. If you are willing for God to stretch you outside of your box and deepen you understanding of His heart for the nations a crusade is an incredible experience.

There are so many wonderful unique and amazing people that make up the core of our crusade staff. For instance, Becky goes on all of our crusades, is bilingual (Spanish/English), has an amazing passion for evangelism and is gifted in sharing about God's love to people. I watched her run after a lady last week, with great concern, who she thought had not heard the gospel.

Mariela and Martha both left a week early because of the great need for dental cleaning and dental prosthetics that were needed in that area. They sacrificed two weeks of their time to remote missions. Most of these people don't have steady jobs so they are able to consistently do crusades.

Dr. Escamilla is a retired military colonel who firmly believes in the power of God's healing. It is not uncommon to hear him tell someone to take a prescription and "in the name of Jesus" you will feel better. His own wife was healed of cancer. He has seen God's power first hand and is readily willing to share it with others.

Vero and Adrian are a young dating couple in the church who have been involved with the crusades for several years. They prep, pack, set-up, organize, facilitate administration, load and unpack when we get back, as well as a slew of odds and ends. They are both in a local seminary but are on a slower pace so that they can still be committed to the crusades. They both have a unique passion for ministry and evangelism that is almost nonexistent yet within the Mexican youth (as I have seen).

I don't have to mention Rosa as she is amazing here at the Ranch as well as on crusade. For instance, this last crusade we had to cook for aprox. 40 people over a wood fire outside for the week. That was our kitchen. And she doesn't just get by with it, she still is an amazing cook! She is a dear and treasured member of the team and I am confident that anyone would tell you that.

There are many MANY more. I wish I could tell you all about each one of them but that would go on forever and something tells me that might get boring. :) However, there is one more person that I have to tell you about. Her name is Norma. She is the local missionary contact for the location that we went to. She has been working there for 4 years be herself. There are several christian families now but in many ways it is still a discipleship relationship. She sees her family once a year at Christmas when she goes to visit them. They never comes to see her. They live north of Mexico City and it would be a good 12 hours of driving and possibly more. From what I gathered, they are not very supportive of her ministry. And yet, despite the challenges of being alone and having overwhelming needs all around you Norma can make you laugh faster then anyone else. She has a joy that can only come from Christ. If you think of her keep her and her ministry in your prayers. Pray that God will use the crusades to open doors for her and expand her ministry.

Dani, Dr. Escamilla, Ashleigh

Becky sharing the gospel with three ladies

Dr. Escamilla praying with a patient

Vero and Fidel

Dani with a new found friend!

For those of you who are keeping track of time realize that this will be my last post for Fishers of Men for now. I will be flying back to the states tomorrow morning with my friend Dani. However, I wanted to thank each one of you for your prayers, concern, love and blessings over the last two years. I know that I didn't fully understand how important each of those were before I came to Mexico. Know that you greatly impact the ministry and the lives here as you support in prayer, notes, and gifts. May God bless you multiply times over for your love for Fishers of Men!

1 comment:

Dani said...

I Miss you all in Mexico very much. What an unbelievable 13 days. And per request, I'm taking good care of Ashleigh.