Friday, March 26, 2010

"Following God into the Future" by Ashleigh

Robert Frost once wrote the following in a poem entitled "The Road Less Traveled",

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

I have always really liked this poem and particularly this phrase as I thought it was a good description of the Christian's life. After all we are told that narrow is the gate that leads to life and few there are that enter it. It doesn't make sense to not follow the crowd most of the time. It doesn't seem logical. Often it seems contrary to what would appear to be in our best interest as we see it. Moving to Mexico two years ago was a less traveled road to be sure. Most people my age were finishing college, dating, looking at career choices, getting married and starting families. Me...I left the country! :)

Now, ask me if I have regretted that decision? The answer is a resounding "NO"! It's not been easy but I have never once even thought that it wasn't where God had called me to commit two years. That is His grace providing for His calling. It's easy to trust God looking into the past with 20/20 vision and the ability to see not only the outcome but God's fingerprints all over each event, moment and person.

So, where am I going with this? Some of you are probably wondering, "What's your point, Ashleigh?" Well, my point is, when God leads it doesn't often make sense to our human brains. As my two year commitment with Fishers of Men came to a close I spent much time in prayer and counseling with people I love, love me and love the ministry. I can confidently say that God is leading me to move back to the states for a season. It's been a very difficult decision as my heart is here and I feel that this is my home in so many ways. Although I don't know what the future holds I am confident in this, the God I trusted when I came to Mexico is still leading and still trustworthy. The future is hidden from my sight but I am trusting in the knowledge that God sees it all. I am also praying that this truly is just a season of life and that God calls me back to Mexico in the future.

I feel kind of like Abraham and have been thinking about him a lot these last couple of weeks.

Hebrews 11:8 says,
"By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going."

However, I will readily admit that it puts my faith to shame knowing that Abraham picked up and left his home and country and didn't even know where he was going. I know where I am going. I have friends there, I have family there. I know where to go to church, I know where to shop (and what you can get), I know the language, I know respectively where everything is at in the general area of Wayne county, Ohio. Abraham just left! Yes, he had the promise that he would receive an inheritance when he got to where he was going but Hebrews makes it clear that he only really saw the fulfilment of that promise from a distance.

Hebrews 11:13 says,
"All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth."

I told the staff and the family a week and a half ago that God was calling me back to the states for now. I was concerned at how the children (particularly some of them) where going to take the news. I so badly did not want to be just another person that abandons them "proving" that they "are not loved". So far they are all seeming to be handling it very maturely which has just been another little confirmation from the Lord that I am heading in the right direction and He is leading the way. :)

Logistically, my friend Danielle will be coming to Mexico in two weeks and we will both go on the crusade April 13-17. She will stay at the Ranch with me and help me finish packing and then be gracious enough to travel back to the states with me on April 22nd. The time will pass quickly but I am looking forward to enjoying every minute and memory I have left here at the Ranch!

For instance, for Joanna's birthday she requested cheesecake. I have had several young adults at church asking me to teach them to make cheesecake so that they could sell it as a fundraiser. So, I figured this was the perfect opportunity. I had Julie call and let Adrian know that I would be making cheesecake on Sunday night and that if they wanted to learn that this would be their only opportunity. He rounded up five of them and came out to the Ranch after church. Here are a couple of pictures of that.

Jessica and Adrian working on cheesecakes

Me instructing Adrian on how to make the crust

This is just one of many memories that are full of laughter, friend and fun!

No comments: