Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fog and Wind by Mark

This morning we woke to fog so dense that it gives the feeling of isolation. There is hope in the wind, though. We can see the fog moving, so there must be an end. Julie's dad, Dave Claassen, is here for a visit and enjoys taking pictures. So he took a couple of Lucy and I in the fog. The picture below should have the valley in the background.


Mark and Lucy in the fog

There were a lot of conversations about the fog this morning at breakfast. One comment was that most of the time fog does not accompany wind. Julie pointed out that this fog is not Indiana/Ohio/Michigan fog. This is Mexico mountain fog, which is really a cloud that is slightly lower. It is really amazing to be this covered in clouds after the past couple of weeks that have been very clear. So clear that the good visibility actually made the news. It seemed like we could see forever.

The discussion turned somewhat spiritual at some point. Someone said that the limited view is a lot like what God lets us see in our lives. We can only see a step or two in front of us. We know there is an eternity in front of us but we step with faith one day at a time. It is with this faith that we surround each other, creating a cloud of witnesses, like the writer of Hebrews wrote in 12:1. We share each other's burdens as we run this race we call "life."

Today's fog is cool and damp and the wind makes it feel cooler and damper (more damp?). But like I said at the beginning, the wind gives me hope. I see the fog moving. The wind reminds me of the Holy Spirit moving in my life. I cannot see Him but I know He is working.

Before I got out of bed and discovered the fog I was going to blog about our chapel theme. So I will just share briefly. Monday, as school restarted after having most of January off, we started with weekly chapel. Lucy and I are in charge of it and we are using the school curriculum as a guide to talk about personal characteristics. The first one was "appreciation," using 1 Thes. 5:18 as the verse. Paul instructs us to be thankful in all circumstances. As the kids shared what they were thankful for, I heard: family, friends, toys, Magda cooking breakfast, and I am sure there were others I have forgotten. Today I am thankful for long sleeved flannel lined shirts and. . .















STEPS!

Friday Cirino and Alejandro began forming steps for our apartment and the laundry room.
Cirino forming the steps



Alejandro removing the forms from the steps

This morning they removed the forms, and just a little bit ago Cirino had Lucy and I walk up them for the first time. We were excited and so was Cirino. He enjoys working and building and we appreciate his work. We are thankful to be here and thankful for all the people who continue to strengthen and encourage us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark and Lucy,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I regularly read and am inspired by your postings. Thank you for being so dedicated to doing it regularly.

Deron (yes THAT Deron)