Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fun Stuff

Today is Mexican Independence Day - like your Fourth of July! On this day we celebrate our independence from Spain - won on September 16, 1821. Normally our family would attend the military parade held in downtown Mexico City, but with Victor leaving on an Evangelistic Medical Mission Crusade on Friday, there is just too much going on!

However, our church held a special service and then a fellowship time this past Sunday where different ministries prepared traditional foods and games and we spent the afternoon together. It was lots of fun, and delicious too! Our pastor had encouraged us to dress in traditional Mexican outfits - so some of us did! I got teased by several church members for being more Mexican than the Mexicans! Victor had bought this outfit for me in Monterrey and, while several of you may recognize the outfit since it is the one I use when making presentations in the U.S., I had actually never worn it in Mexico! My kids were quite horrified that I was going to dress up, but once they saw me dressed I got their seal of approval!
Here you can see me with Magdalena, our newest staff member. We had great fun because she even wore fake braids and a traditional print skirt (we had never seen her in a skirt before!)
Now, here is a totally unrelated story! Several days ago I found a super easy peanut butter cookie recipe, so I made cookies with my first graders for school (Caleb and Jocelin). Well, my older girls got inspired and so they made more cookies yesterday. However, being one of their first attempts at cookie baking, the first batch came out a little too late and slightly burnt/quite hard! Ruth grabbed one of those cookies after it had cooled and tried to take a big bite. She promptly came up to me and said: "Mommy, why doesn't this cookie let me eat it?" I am so thankful for the moments that the kids make me laugh!

No comments: