Tuesday, December 22, 2009

More Than a Gift, by Mark

It has been difficult for me to get into the "spirit of the season" this year. I have read and reread scripture about the birth of our Savior, including Old Testament prophecy. I don't know if I am missing the cold Indiana weather, the lights and decorations, the goodies that I love to devour this time of year, all the Christmas celebrations, or a combination of them all. But it doesn't "feel" like Christmas. This past Sunday I got a little of each of the possible missing elements. Our church service was moved to 4:00pm and included Christmas music, a Christmas play, and a carry-in dinner.

One of the special musical numbers was the song "The Gift Goes On" sung by the Refuge Ranch Singers. Julie led the group and played the piano. Josiah played the drums. Diana played the violin. Joanna played the flute. Lucy and Ashleigh were featured with solos and Martita, Angie, Joci, Lolis, Fidel, Aaron, Martha, and Erika joined in singing in English and Spanish. I had been listening to this group practice for several days. I was amazed the first time I heard them because I was in our apartment, building walls. I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised. (I can often hear the children playing inside, from outside.) With all those voices singing together, one might think they could be heard in Mexico City!






The Refuge Ranch Singers

"The Father gave the Son,
The Son gave the Spirit,
The Spirit Gives us life
So we can give the gift of love."

The words of the song have continued to play in my mind since Sunday. It is funny to me to see how different events in our lives affect later parts of our lives. Several years ago, (I think before Aaron was born) I was working on our house and asked a friend to give me some pointers on how to finish the seams on my new drywall. He gladly came over, brought new tools and supplies, and taught me the fine art of drywall finishing. Since that time, I have lived in two other houses, one of which I did a major remodel to and got to use the skills Roger taught me. Today I was thinking about Roger again. Who would have thought 17 years ago that I was learning a skill I would put to use in Mexico? Lucy, the kids, and I have been working on the walls of our apartment. We are to the point of taping the seams, so I have been thinking about the gift Roger gave me. It is a gift that continues to go on.


Apartment walls in progress

We have been shopping for Christmas gifts, looking for some way to express our feelings of love and appreciation for those on our gift lists. The amazing thing is that we have this opportunity everyday. There are just a lot of days that I don't take it. Everyday has a chance to give the gift of love. Whether it is teaching a new skill or sharing a smile to let some one know you care, the Gift can go on.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments: