Friday, December 4, 2009

"Christmas in the Basement" by Ashleigh

The Christmas tree in the basement

There are many things that I love about Christmas. Most of them don't happen in Mexico. For instance snow, caroling, bundling up and snuggling in blankets, baking with and for my family, sitting with my family drinking coffee in the evenings and looking at the Christmas light strung all over the house.

Now before I give the impression that I am mourning a loss let me assure you that I am not. I am looking forward to adding to the list. I have a sense of anticipation to what Christmas will be like this year. So far, I have gone through a hedge maze at the tree farm, decorated the tree with the Marshall family as they shared memories about many of the ornaments, and I am anticipating making gingerbread houses with the kids for art class in a week (which they have never done) just to name a few.

I greatly enjoyed helping and watching the Marshall's decorate the tree and see them interact as a family. They joyfully shared memories about ornaments or stories of past Christmases that were brought back to mind. I was encouraged to know that there were other people to share the joy of the season with this year. They got excited about a tree, fully incorporated me into the decorating process, and allow me to join in on their family time. God knew how much I needed that for my first Christmas season away from home.

I know Julie shared a little last Monday on what Christmas is like in Mexico. However, I wanted to share a little bit of where my heart and prayers have been also that you may join me in prayer. There is power in numbers!

Luke: 2:10 says, "But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people...'"

The Christmas season is all about the great joy that we have because of the good news we have received. This joy is given to all who believe the good news but we have to chose to receive it and live out of it. That is the focus of my prayers and desires the the children this month. That God would open up their hearts and minds to understand the great joy that they have been given with the good news of Christ! That the enemy would not allow them to dwell on what they "missed" but that God would show them what they have in Him. Please join me in praying that God would be triumphant this season in each one of the children's hearts.

No comments: