Monday, November 2, 2009

"2 o'clock Conversations" by Ashleigh

Ashleigh & Ana at bath time


One of the daily responsibilities I have here in Mexico is putting Ana down for her nap. Every afternoon at 2pm I hunt her down, pick her up, and head toward her bedroom. Julie and I played a little game with her almost a year ago now. Since I put her down for her nap and mom puts her to bed we have slightly different routines. When I started putting her down for naps I would just sing a collection of songs depending on what came into my mind at the moment. However, Ana really loved "Amazing Grace - My Chains are Gone" and started requesting it. I also notice that she did NOT like it when I sang "Jesus Loves Me" I shared this with Julie one time and Julie informed me that she sang "Jesus Loves Me" every night to Ana when putting her to bed. We got to thinking that she like me to sing "Amazing Grace - My Chains are Gone" and she liked Julie to sing "Jesus Love Me". Julie tested the theory several nights later by trying to sing "Amazing Grace" and it proved correct. Ana had a fit! Her routine was being messed with! :)


More recently Ana asks me as soon as I pick her up, "Are we going to sleep?" (In Spanish) It's so cute...she knows what time it is. :) Most often, she doesn't have a problem with it but every once in a while I receive whimpers and little imploring murrmurs about how she doesn't want to go to bed.


Today we had an expanded version of that conversation. It went something like this (All in Spanish):


Ana: "Are we going to go to sleep?"

Me: "Yep"

Ana: "ok....Will you sing 'Amazing Grace?'"

Me: "Yes, if you want me to sing 'Amazing Grace'. Do you?"

Ana: "Yes"

Me: "ok"


It was adorable! When we got to her room I wrapped her in a blanket and started singing "Jesus Love Me". She stopped me at the beginning and said, "No, Amazing Grace". I said ok and started with "Jesus Loves Me" again. She started to giggle and stopped me again to request "Amazing Grace". It was great! I played with her for a bit and then we settled into the actual version of Amazing Grace and it wasn't long before she was out. :) She is a little person but has a big personality and is always ready to laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ash! Thanks for loving my little Ana that way! You are great and mean so much to me as a person and to this ministry! God bless and love you tons! Julie

Dave and Diann said...

Thanks, Ashleigh, for loving our little granddaughter that way! (And all of our other precious grandchildren as well!) You are a gift from God and an answer to our prayers! We love you!
Dave and Diann Claassen (Julie's parents)