Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mom...by Lucy

Mom flew for the first time in March to come visit us with Pam and Amanda (my sister-in-law and niece)
We took them to see El Popocatepetl
I gave Mom these flowers bought at the open market while she was here

Mom's birthday is today. She is 70 years old today! Way to go, Mom! I know that we usually write about things happening here at the Ranch, but my thoughts are with my mom today.

She will probably spend the day working hard on lots of things for everyone else. I know she had an eye doctor appointment, and an appointment to get the car fixed. She probably cooked all the meals today, and maybe made her own birthday cake. She probably did a couple of loads of laundry too, plus some grocery shopping and other errands. Who knows what else she might try to fit into her day. Hopefully a phone call from me if I can catch her!

Mom has always been a very busy lady. She makes rolls for those having a hard time with life, those who are ill, or in the nursing home. She babysits for her grandkids (No need to twist her arm to do that!), and teaches people things like painting and crafts, and sewing and cooking for 4-H. She might even give you a lesson on her accordion if you ask!She taught Mark Beach, a neighbor, how to make cinnamon rolls. He, in turn, taught his niece, Ashleigh, who ended up here at Refuge Ranch, making them for the Zaragoza family!

Mom taught me how to cook and sew (which come in handy!), how to can vegetables, and make homemade noodles. She taught me about growing your own food, and about doing laundry. Mom taught me to work hard and do your very best (That is why you need a ripper when you are sewing!). She taught me to appreciate every little thing I have (After all, it may come in handy someday!), and not to take anything for granted. She taught me how to be a good wife and mom, and how to serve others well. She prepared me well for the mission field, whether she knew it or not. She taught me about the love of Jesus, and what it means to be a Christian obedient to God. I pray that I have learned well, as I now try to teach my own kids, and help Julie with the rest of the children at Refuge Ranch.

If you spend any time at all with children, remember that you are preparing them for a future that God has planned for them. Give them strong roots, grounded in the love of Jesus, and strong wings, so they can fly where He sends them. I know that is what my mom did. Thanks, Mom! Happy birthday!

"Her children arise and call her blessed, her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate." Proverbs 31: 28-31

1 comment:

Mark and Lucy said...

I just found out that Amanda fixed Mom an oreo cake for her birthday. Thanks Amanda!