Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mark's Mutterings

It has been a while since I blogged so I thought maybe I should let you all know I am still here. Since the work groups left I have been working in the school most of the time, but this last week was a little different. I spent some time outside working in the garden, and on vehicles. I spent one morning last week with Victor, John and Adrian at the butcher's with the steer. This was a new experience for me, and I really wondered how I would deal with it. I was OK for most of it and even helped a little. I will not go into detail here but I could tell you about it if you ask. There are pics on Adrian's phone, for real evidence.

Victor, John and Adrian also spent some time with me at the ranch. Next week we are going to Oaxaca on an EMMC, so the vehicles all needed a once over. It was really fun working together. Victor wanted the spark plugs replaced on the white van, which has a big block V8. What that means is that there is not a lot of room to work, so I was glad to have the help. When we checked the brakes, we found a little trouble in the front and added a little more work. Adrian and I stayed back and tuned up the black truck while John and Victor went for brake parts. Fortunately I think the brakes on the black truck and the red van are good for at least one more trip. However, Lucy and I took the Focus to Cuautla Thursday afternoon and the brakes started to grind on the way home. This "simple" brake job resulted in discovering another problem and created even more work. Victor and Julie wanted to take the Focus Sunday afternoon to Veracruz for Danny's paperwork. When they got home from the second church service, I had just washed my hands and was ready for a road test. My drive was much shorter than a trip to Veracruz, and they are not home yet. Pray all is well.




Danny asking me about what I am doing. I try to not be too technical with my answers.


I have also spent some time in the garden. In an effort to keep the loose calf in the lower area with the other cows, I built a small wooden fence with a gate. We need the gate to bring the horse up and picket her to graze and ride in the upper levels. The fun part of this was getting fence post holes deep enough, with no post hole digger and many many rocks. The fence looks nice and it works for that end. Now we just need to block the other end.

Monday morning I wanted to show Lucy what I had been doing, so I took her a surprise. She was sitting at the desk helping one of the kids. When she first looked up, she thought I had flowers for her. But then she realized I had been pulling radishes in the garden. It really is too bad that she does not like radishes. They are the sweetest I have ever had. There are still a few to harvest so if you get here soon you can try them.
First fresh veggies from the garden.


Fresh veggies ready to eat

Not a very profound Blog entry, but thank you for checking in with us.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work with in us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

1 comment:

Don Current said...

I have a 2003 Ford Focus 4-dr hatchback which I absolutely love. I hope that Focus is treating you all as well as mine!