Friday, April 2, 2010

"Goodbye Gifts have Started" by Ashleigh

For some time now I have wanted to give each of the children something to remind them that I love them. Something little from me. However, when you don't have a lot of money and there are a dozen children you try and be creative. I thought about making something but I didn't want it to just be something that they stick on a shelf somewhere to be forgotten about. So, I continued to think and pray about it and wait for inspiration. That is where the story starts. :)

You see, two years ago for Christmas my grandmother got me an apron with chili peppers on it. This apron is sturdy and durable because it is double sided. I have loved using it every time I am in the kitchen cooking. Several of the girls have gotten in the habit of using it as well while they are helping in the kitchen and also while they are washing the dishes.

Several weeks ago there was a playful argument between several girls about who was going to be bequeathed my apron. They were disappointed to hear that the apron will be going back to the states with me as it was a gift from my grandmother. However, this conversation sparked the inspiration that I needed. Knowing that fabric isn't that expensive in Mexico I decided to make each of the older girls an apron of their own. Not only would it have specific memories to me and my apron but it would hopefully inspire some of them to help out more in the kitchen!

It was an adventure trying to pick out fabric that was all unique to each individual person and yet match the two sides (I made them reversible as well). In all I came out with 9 aprons as I decided to include Rosa and Magda who both spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It turned out to be perfect timing as the neck strap on my apron broke last week while I was making pizzas (a Saturday tradition). But don't worry, it's fixable and that project is on my to do list!
A snapshot of several of the girls as I was passing the aprons out

All of us in our aprons

I have also received several goodbye gifts as well. Joanna wanted to make sure that I had mine before I started to think about packing so that I would know how to pack it. However, there is a story behind that one as well.

I am in the habit of buying myself roses every once in a great while just for the fun of it. Down here you can get a dozen roses for around $3.50 and they are usually really beautiful. Around Christmas time I found the most beautiful rose and just had to buy them. They were white on the outside and a rich red on the inside. I also discovered as they opened up more that each flower was actually a double bud. They were so unique. After searching photo's online Joanna found the name for this particular rose. Ironically it is called "Latin Lady". How appropriate, no?

Anyway, knowing how much I liked these roses and being as incredibly talented and artistic as she is she drew me two picture of these roses and double framed them. They are gorgeous and I can't wait to set them on a dress or desk at home to fill my mind of wonderful memories from Mexico.
This is not the best shot of the pictures Joanna gave me but it was the best on I could get!

Lucy also gave me a goodbye present early to which I really love. She is amazing with photography and really enjoys blessing others with memories in photographic form. So, she spent time making me photo magnets of everyone who lives here at the Ranch! They are AWESOME! I currently have them on the steel forms of my wall as displayed in the picture below. When I get home they will find a wonderful home on a refrigerator or a filing cabinet.
My magnets from Lucy (Notice I have roses again! :)

No comments: