Sunday, February 28, 2010

"News from Acapulco" by Ashleigh

I didn`t know how posible it was going to be to post while we were in Acapulco and I didn´t even think to talk to Julie about it. (Julie, I am going to post if I can, ok?) :)

Please give me grace as I am typing on a Spanish keyboard which is significantly different.

We finished up the crusade this morning and I would say it went really well. Everyone has their own stories to tell and memorable moments. I will try not to spoil any of those for them. I some how missed the fact that this crusade was taking place right outside of Acapulco. In the flurry of being home and the then flying back in time for the crusade I think I missed that. I knew it was going to be on the coast and north of Acapulco but I didn´t know that we would be staying within the city. No doubt that many of you wonder why we are doing a crusade here and not somewhere more impoverished. The answer is easy...the Acapulco Amercians know consists of a long strip of road near the bay where all of the lights and glamour are for the tourists. It isn`t that far away and we find plenty of need for ministry.

I wish I could include some pictures for you but I didn`t bring my camera and I am using the computer of my gracious hosts here. I will leave the picture post to the Marshall`s as Lucy was the official photographer.

I think that one of the things that makes this trip memorable for me was the earthquake in Chile and the threat of a tsunami here in Mexico. I heard about it right before breakfast Saturday morning but it took me until 11am ato put together that I am standing within a half mile of the ocean. Yep, I sometimes can be a little slow! :) It finally made sense why several of the ladies in the kitchen with us seemed a little on edge. Rosa, in her soft sweet way, kept reminding them that God had everything under control and can be trusted with whatever may come. They seemed reassured by her steady constant faith in our great God. I found myself contemplating what it would be like to experience something like that and praying that God didn`t bring the crusade staff here for disaster relief. I couldn`t help but think about the story of Lot and how he prayed for God to spare the city if there were just 5 rightous people within it`s walls.

Something else that will make this week stand out to me was my time spent in the kitchen. There was always four or five of us working away. The other women would chatter among themselves and visit and exhort one another in the Lord and it was just amazing to see the heart of their culture like that. At the first place we ministered we were asked if we could feed the people from the local church that were helping us. It was and addition of aprox. 15 people but Rosa`s immediate response was, `God will multiply`. What constant faith. And we always had more food then we needed...for He does supply!

At one point I stepped out of the kitchen and walked around to see if anyone need a cup of cold water or something and I found myself standing in the middle of the bustle around me overwhelmed and brought near to tears at all that God was choosing to do through this group of dedicated and loving people. I felt so insignificant in a good way...when you know that He is doing it all and you are humbled at just getting to watch up close and personal!

Well, I would love to keep sharing stories but the Spanish keyboard is driving me nuts! I am sure that there will be more posts of this nature to stay tuned for more.

No comments: