Friday, January 29, 2010

Marshall Minutes...by Lucy

We almost finished painting our bedroom blue today!
David Marshall helping Mark with some electrical work.
Joan Marshall sweeping the dusty floor in the apartment.
The family standing outside the door of our apartment on our "almost finished" porch.
Aaron trying to get out of working in the apartment!

This has been an interesting week for the Marshall's. We have had company...Mark's parents! We have had a lot of fun, and worked hard, but there are 3 incidents that stick out in my mind that I'd like to share.

On Tuesday, we went to the market so they could "experience the culture." We had been there about an hour when I realized that my wallet had been stolen. So much for experiencing the culture! Instead of seeing most of the market, we had to come home so I could call my credit card company, my bank, and the Indiana License Bureau to report my stolen cards. I had let my guard down, I guess, because I was beginning to feel comfortable in my surroundings. I lost my focus, and I paid the consequences. Now, of course, I'm much more careful, and maybe a little paranoid! But I know what I need to focus on when I am at the market. Stay alert, be mindful of everything around me, and pray.

On Wednesday, we took Mark's parents to Los Manantiales (The Springs). We found the place with no problem, even though we had hoped to get there with the Tomtom (Global Positioning System). When we programmed the place in, it said it had no route for it. We felt pretty confident that we could find it so we went on, and got there in record time. But on the way back, we decided to use the Tomtom to get us home. The problem with that is that it took us a different way that we were unfamiliar with through Cuernavaca! Instead of the major highway we took to get there, we were stuck in city traffic in an area we were unfamiliar with, hoping we would get home before dark! Since I'm writing this, you can be assured we did find our way home, but we have learned that the Tomtom doesn't always know the best route to take to get home. We will stay focused on what we know next time.

The last incident happened yesterday as we were beginning to paint in the apartment. Aaron was on the top of a ladder. If you've ever looked at a ladder closely, you'll notice a warning that says do not stand on the rungs above this point. Well, they mean it! Aaron was on the next to the top rung, and fell backward onto the concrete floor below! I was in the room, and saw it happen. I can still see it happen when I close my eyes. He could have been hurt badly, but instead came away with a few bruises, scrapes, and a sore wrist that is now in a splint for a few days. What I saw was very strange. I turned as he yelled, and saw him falling backward. As the ladder got a few feet from the floor (Aaron was tangled up in the ladder and could not get away from it.), it seemed to slow down for a second, then finished falling to the floor on top of Aaron with his feet tangled around it. Aaron says he turned and stopped his fall with his hand, but when everyone came in, he was on his back. I'm not sure how it happened exactly. All I know is that God was there! And not only was He there, but He planned it so there were a doctor and a paramedic visiting the Ranch yesterday. Aaron was well taken care of, and I praise God that he is okay, although a little sore today. I will remember this incident every time I doubt whether He is with me.

I am hoping that I have learned some things from this week.
1) Stay focused on what is truly important.
2) Stay on the right road, and don't get sidetracked by distractions.
3) Stay in His will, and He will be right beside you.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How does your mom like sweeping that Mexican "dirt"? Hope their visit was rewarding for all. Trusting is a very good lesson, one that tends to stick with you. May your faith increase Lucy. Thanks for sharing in this ministry. Denise