Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Little Steps Forward" by Ashleigh

I do not mean to disappoint anyone who was expecting the Marshalls to blog today. They had the opportunity to take a day trip with Mark's parents who are here and so we switched days. However, I wanted to share a little testimony of praise with you all!

When working with a ministry like Refuge Ranch, progress is most likely seen in little steps toward understanding, receiving and living truth in the kids lives. There are many little opportunities that each child has to step out of their comfort zone and embrace Christ. I think you would all agree that getting out of your comfort zone isn't easy. That is exacerbated when you you have been significantly hurt in the past. Your natural tendencies and defense mechanisms are to protect yourself from any future hurt increasing the difficulty in trusting anyone including Christ.

Yesterday morning I had an encounter with one of the kids in this regard. There was a stubborn display and refusal to a request that was made from them. It was clearly based out of nervousness and fear but was not well founded. Praise God for my some of the training I have had with counseling and being able to see past the immediate present and into the struggles of the heart. I was disappointed because I could see they were choosing self preservation instead of trusting the Lord and trying something new.

After breakfast I could tell that I was being watched by this child but I just continued with the morning routine. I was planning on taking the Marshall's to the market after breakfast and so I headed up to the basement to gather my things in my bedroom. It wasn't long and I heard my name through my bedroom door by the one who had been watching me. :) I told them they could come in and they entered. They inquired if I was mad at them and I was able to honestly say, "No, I am not mad at you. However, I am disappointed". They began to protest at why they were justified in their behavior and I was able to listen and acknowledge that their feelings were justified. I shared that when I first came to Mexico I was scared as well because I was doing something I had never done before. However, if I had made the same choice as they did that morning, I would never have come. I then shared with them 2 Corinthians 12:9 which says, "And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

A sheepish grin of understanding came after reading the verse and they knew there was nowhere they could go in the argument. A simple matter of trusting the Lord in the little things which is really anything but simple when you are fighting the flesh. It was a real encouragement to me, to be able to speak a grain of truth to one of the kids and see it grasped for the moment. It is not often that I get those opportunities because of language and the fact that it is primarily Julie's responsibility as mom. But when mom is gone...and language can be overcome God encourages me by allowing me to speak truth.

And so I thought I would share the little blessings with all of you and thank your for your prayers. It is by those that we are sustained! Now it is off to continue painting the ceilings in the Marshalls apartment...work must go on! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so blessed to read your blessing! It sure strengthens you in every way when you are is instrument and He openly shares how he's using you, doesn't it. I love you, MOM

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you did see Aaron falling every time you closed your eyes. Praise God for His protection! I'm catching up on this blog and was so glad to see Dave Marshall there after his nasty fall off the porch roof in Indiana. I didn't put it together that he is Mark's father. Also, thanks for that very detailed post about the rain storm. You and your apartment walls were really tested!