Tuesday, July 21, 2015

From a First Timer....the Catemaco Crusade Experience

Welcome to our guest blogger....Sydney Butikofer from Iowa!  Sydney, a college student, was one of the U.S. volunteers on the Evangelistic Medical Mission Crusade (EMMC) to Catemaco, Veracruz during the first week of June.  It is always refreshing hearing from a "first-timer" about their experience in Mexico with Fishers of Men!  I believe you will be refreshed and, Lord willing, even challenged to follow in Jesus' footsteps, just as Sydney did!
I had an incredible and life-changing time in Mexico serving on this medical mission crusade, as it was my first time being out of the country and working on the team. We went to Catemaco, Veracruz, a city known as the capitol of witchcraft in Mexico. Included on our team were family doctors, dentists, nurses, evangelists, and a surgeon. I had the opportunity of assisting the surgeon. We even got our own operating room, which was very cool!
Each morning started out with a time of worship for the team followed by a message and breakfast. After breakfast, everyone set off to their own tasks. I, along with two other college girls, got to assist Dr. Karkow with the surgeries he performed. We removed many moles and cysts, along with other minor skin operations. Once we were done working for the day, we would go back to the church and hang out with the people there. I absolutely loved spending time with the children (even though they liked to make fun of my poor Spanish).
During our time there, over 1,100 medical services were provided for the people. Everyone who was seen then sat with a member of the team and had the Gospel message shared with them. Even with witchcraft being so prevalent, God worked in the hearts of the people as over 250 people accepted Christ, including some witches. It was so humbling for me to see how grateful the people were, especially since most of them had never had this kind of medical treatment before.

My favorite story is of one girl who, after surgery, told Dr. Karkow he was the best, to which he replied, “I’m just a sinner. It’s God who’s the best.” This is so true! God really used this trip, others on the crusade, and the people of Catemaco to open up my heart to a whole world of His people.
 Below, I have include a couple of pictures. 
Our surgical team: me (Sydney), Devin, Dr. Karkow, Katie, and our amazing translator Diana

Katie, Devin, and me spending time with some of the children of Catemaco.

No comments: