Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Rosa

Dr Escamilla leading Feliz Cumplianos for Rosa

There have been a lot of birthdays around here lately. Last week Julie wrote about the five year olds. Yesterday was Fatima's birthday. But the one on my mind is Rosa. She is our cook here at the ranch and she travels on almost all the EMMCs. Last week we were in El Chilar, Oaxaca and Rosa was with us. On Monday we made the 7 hour drive and as soon as we got there she got busy preparing our meal.

The typical meal schedule in Mexico is slightly different from that in the US. The main meal is served in the afternoon around 3:00. In the late evening, after working, we have sweet breads and coffee. Last Monday evening instead of the usual sweet breads we had birthday cake for Rosa's birthday. Those of us who live at Refuge Ranch and/or travel on EMMCs love Rosa a great deal. She has known Victor for many years, since he was a young man. If you have ever come to Refuge Ranch or on an EMMC, you have seen how dedicated and hard working Rosa is. You also know that she is a great cook.

Last week in El Chilar the temperature had to have been in the 90s during the day and Rosa was working in a kitchen cooking over a wood fire. I have no idea how hot it must have been in that little bamboo room. By the end of the week she was not feeling well. I am obviously not a doctor and I don't know the full situation, but part of the problem was related to dehydration. She ended the week resting and then went to her home in Mexico City for a few days. We are praying that she will be back in action in the next day or two.

Rosa is one of the most gracious and Godly people I know. She works very hard here, not only cooking but keeping things clean and looking nice. Whenever I thank her for the meals she always says, "Thanks to God." If only we could all work so hard to the glory of God.

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you" Philippians 1:3


1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

I am guessing that Mark wrote this post, am I right? Well, to whoever it was I say thank you. It's good to see people loving Rosa as she spends so much of her time loving others.