Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Zaragoza Christmas....Finally, Nearly, Almost!

Sunday, January 9, 2011 - Christmas 2010 for the Zaragoza family!

As many of you know, our adventure began on Thursday, December 16th when Victor and I had planned on doing our family Christmas shopping. I did not feel well that day and so we decided to stay home - maybe a 24 flu or the beginning of a cold? By Monday I had been diagnosed with Hepatitis A, Bronchitis and a blood test revealed low levels of just about everything - sodium, iron, potassium, good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, etc. The doctor ordered a month long of basically bed rest.

The first week was miserable - I didn't mind being in bed because I didn't have the energy to do anything except be in bed. Watching TV even took too much energy! The second week I began feeling like a human being again, but stayed in bed all day, everyday. The third week I began to get out of bed, join the family for some meals and get more things done in bed - computer work, reading, etc. I am finishing up the fourth week and about back to normal. I am doing a lot of my normal activities, but am not back to getting up early in the morning like I enjoy doing, and am taking the afternoons a bit slower with a nap to help build up my strength for the evening and bedtime routine. Angie was diagnosed with Hepatitis A a few days after me. She started our rougher than I did and even required an IV to rehydrate her. After that, she followed my basic recuperation schedule, just a few days behind me, although her strength came back a bit faster than mine. Then Martita got sick, but it appears to have been Bronchitis and she is back to normal now, too! So, praise the Lord - I believe everybody is healthy now! Victor did an amazing job being a nurse to the three of us and keeping the rest of the household and ministry coordinated and running! We thank the Lord for our staff that enabled the kids to have clean clothes, a clean house and continue to attend school!

So, last Friday Victor and I set out on our Christmas shopping adventure! Can I make a recommendation? Don't ever try to Christmas shop for 12 children in one day in Mexico after both Christmas and Three Kings' Day have passed! (Three Kings' Day is the traditional day to give gifts here in Mexico and is celebrated on January 6.) Our first stop was the Christian bookstore in downtown Mexico City. That is the closest Christian bookstore of any substance - a "simple", two and a half hour drive - hence we very rarely go more than twice a year! After an hour and a half there and lunch at a great Chinese place in downtown Mexico City we started heading back out of the city to hit WalMart and Sams, looking for the kids' gifts. Needless to say, there were NO sales and most of the items the kids had asked for were sold out! So, we bought some items, saved money to buy other items when they are restocked in future months and went home to order other items from U.S. stores for Grandpa and Grandma to bring along during their visit in February. Hence, the Christmas that finally happened, well, it nearly happened, almost happened and isn't over yet!

Besides all the weirdness of Christmas this year, it was one of our best years in terms of attitudes on Christmas days. I have mentioned before that celebrations are always an interesting experience at our home: some of the kids are super excited, some don't know how to react because they did not grow up celebrating anything, others would prefer to hide - but this year they all came down to the living room with smiles on their faces (despite several having to get sprinkled with cold water to get them out of bed before the youngest kids mounted a mutiny!) and enjoyed watching others open their gifts!

Here are some of my favorite pictures!

Martita, age 15, opening her first cell phone! I cannot explain to you the joy I felt in my heart to watch Martita enjoy Christmas! The night before she said: "I am going to be the first one up tomorrow!" This from our daughter who, on her first Christmas with us, just three years ago, hid away in her room while we decorated the tree! This year she helped Victor cut the Christmas tree! These are outer signs, real fruit, of the restoration that the Lord has worked, and continues to work, in her heart and life! Praise God and thank you for being a part of this process!


Ana was told to close her eyes as her gift was brought in from outside. She was so obedient!

"Wow!"

"Here I go!"

Jocelin excited about one of her presents! This is Christmas #2 for Jocelin without her mother, Pati, who passed away in August of 2009. She now calls Victor "Papa" when referring to him in front of me and she calls me "Mama" to others and when she draws me pictures! Another praise to our Almighty Father!


Ruth opening a stuffed horse she had seen at the store and had really wanted. What was hilarious was that Caleb had asked for a stuffed lion that same day at the store. So, as they opened their gifts, Caleb opened the stuffed lion and hugged it right away! As Ruth watched him, she says to me, with tears in her eyes: "I wanted my horse!" I gently asked her if she had opened all of her presents. She got quiet, the tears disappeared and a look of revelation came across her face: "No" she responded. As the other children took their turns, Ruth began to examine her unopened packages. By the time it was her turn again, she had decided that this bag held the best possibility of being her beloved horse. And it was! Can you tell by the smile on her face?

Thanks for joining us for Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! So awesome to share your Christmas gift opening with you!
God's goodness and faithfulness is SO evident in each and every picture - His physical and emotional healing and restoration!
We are excited about what He will do in all ur lives in 2011!
Love you all so much,
Aunt Joan and Uncle Tom

Ashleigh said...

Thanks for sharing Christmas with us! :) It was a blessing to my heart to hear of Martita's excitement for Christmas. The pictures of the other kids are wonderful. They are growing so fast. I can't wait to be down there with you all in just two weeks! :)