Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Josiah's Baptism

We thank the Lord for all that He is continuously doing in our children's lives and are especially grateful when He gives us a glimpse into what He is doing and when His moving results in outward actions and obedience.

About a month ago our church held baptisms during the regular morning service. There were 28 people that had gone through discipleship classes as part of their decision to be baptized. Four of the church elders got into the swimming pool that had been purchased and set up just for this occasion, while Victor and our lead pastor, Ruben, stayed on the platform. They would ask those being baptized if they have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and would then pronounce the baptism as the elders carried out the actual baptism.

After the original 28 were baptized, Victor felt led to open the baptism up to anybody else feeling the call to obey the Lord in that way. Almost immediately Josiah came and sat next to me. I looked at him and he had tears in his eyes and slouched way down into the chair. He told me that he wasn't sure if he should be baptized or not. The last several times that our church has had baptisms he has expressed an interest in being baptized, so this desire was not new. I encouraged him that he could be baptized if he wanted to, but that he didn't have to feel like he had to be baptized in that moment.

The struggle was on - a spiritual struggle! It was quite amazing to watch! While others came forward to be baptized, Josiah continued to struggle. His face would contort from tears, to confusion, to almost anger-like frustration, to tears, etc. It is hard to explain. By then, people were moving about as others came forward to be baptized. Josiah stood up and pulled me by the hand towards the pool. Then he pulled me towards the back of the church. He would say: "I want to be baptized." "I don't know if I should be baptized."

I truly felt that he needed to follow the tug of the Holy Spirit to be baptized, but it needed to be done under his own conviction, not mine. So, it was very hard to encourage without manipulating, yet not be so laid back that he would interpret it as a lack of support. I finally just prayed silently: "Lord, if his is Your will, just give Josiah peace and firm decision." At this point we were standing way in the back of the church. Almost immediately Josiah's face relaxed, he grabbed my hand and we took about five steps forward. Then he stopped and stood still. He did not say anything, but maintained his eyes directly up front towards those being baptized. After a minute or so, he kind of nodded his head and pulled me forward a few more steps. This process of moving forward, stopping, resolutely looking forward, nodding and moving forward again happened time after time until we were next to the swimming pool.

By this time, the lead pastor was praying for the over 35 people that had been baptized and was about ready to move into the final part of the service, when Josiah said: "Yes, Mom." I had alerted Victor to Josiah's inner struggle, so I signaled to him that Josiah had decided to be baptized.

Up to now, Victor had not gotten wet. In fact, neither he nor Josiah had brought along clothing to change in to. However, as soon as Josiah said he wanted to be baptized, Victor started taking off his shoes and socks, handed me his keys and wallet and rolled up the legs of his pants, climbing into the pool, and Josiah after him.


It was a beautiful moment watching father baptize son and knowing that this is yet another step in our Heavenly Father's marvelous plan for Josiah's life. It is such a special honor when the faith can be passed on like this. My own dad baptized me in a pond when I was 16 and Victor has already baptized Angie, Diana and Martita. Praise God!


After church Josiah came up to me and said: "Mom, thanks for supporting me." I asked him if he felt better after being baptized. His face was full of peace and with a huge smile said: "Yes." I commented to him that the "weirdness" he felt before was the Holy Spirit telling him to be baptized. He answered: "How was I suppose to know? I had never heard him speak before!"


May Josiah continue to be sensitive to the moving of the Lord in his life!

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Julie. I cried. How amazing is this. I so badly miss all of you. Its wonderful to be able to follow what is going on. You are continually in my prayers. I love you all!

Kayla

Dani said...

Hallelujah! Some how I missed this post until now. My heart rejoices for Josiah... what a special guy he is. Tell him Ashleigh's friend Dani sends love and is rejoicing!