Friday, July 2, 2010

Tweety the Troublemaker.....By:Joanna

The first batch of birds in our grill

In the past few months since we have been here, we have had two birds build nests in our grill, and both have had bird-lings. We did not decide to have wings to eat. The birds were much too small! On Wednesday, however, the most recent bird-lings were beginning to learn how to fly and exiting the grill. Unfortunately one of them went for a long run and flew into our apartment and disappeared (I was in the Zaragoza house at this time, not in our apartment).

Mom came to me and asked what to do if there was a bird in our house. I quickly asked where it was and got the answer that it was either in my room or my brother's. I immediately went over and began dissecting my room in hopes of finding the songless bird.

When we couldn't find it, we all just assumed that it would make some sort of noise so that we could find it. We all began to do our own thing. I popped in a science video to get it done early. About half way through the video, we heard a chirp and the cat ran over to our laundry basket.

I began to search. Mom suggested that I should take the laundry basket outside. Knowing that that was a good idea, I quickly transported the basket outside. It only took the movement of a few garments of clothing to find the, once again, songless bird.

I was kneeling with both knees on the ground. Tweety Bird then jumped out of the basket through one of the holes and ran/hopped under me. I felt it brush by my pants leg, and so I immediately stood up. To my surprise, the bird-ling had disappeared into my pant leg!!!!! I quickly shook the cuff of my pants until the bird fell out and attempted to fly off. :) :)

Not only was this the second nest in the grill, but this has been the second animal to climb into my clothing. The first one was a baby salamander... but that is another story.

1 comment:

Diann Claassen said...

Hi Joanna!
Thanks for your bird story - you gave me a good "laugh out loud" experience this morning! Can't wait to hear the salamander story! (Shiver!) Looking forward to seeing you in just a week!
Love,
Diann